Purpose of privacy notice
The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the GDPR). This legislation will replace current data privacy law, giving more rights to you as an individual and more obligations to organisations holding your personal data.
One of the rights is a right to be informed, which means we have to give you even more information than we do now about the way in which we use, share and store your personal information.
This means that we will be publishing a new privacy notice so you can access this information, along with information about the increased rights you have in relation to the information we hold on you and the legal basis on which we are using it.
This new privacy notice comes into effect and will be published on our website on 25 May 2018.
Who are we?
Archna Patel is the data controller. This means she decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
Whose information does this privacy notice apply to?
This privacy notice applies to information we collect from:
· Existing patients;
· Prospective patients;
· Former patients;
· People who subscribe to our newsletters;
· Visitors to our website.
What is personal data?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. Examples of personal data we may hold about you include your contact and appointment details.
Special category data is a sub-category of personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation. Examples of special category data we may hold about you include your patient notes.
How do we process your personal data?
We comply with our obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data. We use your personal data for the purposes set out below (sections 1-15).
All data records and notes are stored electronically using the Pathways Software system; WriteUpp, which is a GDPR compliant software system, details of which can be found here https://www.writeupp.com/secure/
Our website, theacupuncturistsltd.com is SSL (Secure Socket Layer) secure which ensures all data passing through the website and all emails to and from email@example.com are encrypted.
All other means used to store data manually or recorded on desktops, mobile etc, are appropriately kept and protected.
We will monitor any emails sent to us, including file attachments, for viruses or malicious software. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send us is within the bounds of the law.
Sections 1 – 15 apply to our patients, prospective patients, former patients and visitors to our clinic
1. We use your name, address, telephone number and email address to make and rearrange appointments.
2. We use your name, address, telephone number and email address, only if we have your explicit consent, to send you marketing materials.
3. Some patients and prospective patients return pre- 1 st appointment consultation forms or tell us about their medical conditions and medication by email or online enquiry forms.
4. We keep a permanent attendance register which records all appointments for patients attending our clinic to keep a record of when you were treated for tax purposes and to secure potential evidence in the event of a criminal prosecution, civil litigation, insurance claim or complaint to my regulatory body, the British Acupuncture Council.
5. We may use your date of birth to help identify patients with the same name to avoid mistakes being made as to safe and appropriate treatment, for identification purposes if referring a patient to another health practitioner, and for identification purposes if writing to a registered medical practitioner so that they correctly identify the patient.
6. We use your presenting complaint and symptoms reported by you for the purposes of making a full traditional diagnosis, formulating treatment strategy and treatment planning.
7. We use any relevant medical and family history you have told us for making a full traditional diagnosis, formulating treatment strategy and treatment planning.
8. We use your GP’s name and address in the event that we need to contact your GP including in an emergency and because it is a mandatory requirement in the British Acupuncture Code of Professional Conduct.
9. We use our clinical findings about your health and wellbeing for making a full traditional diagnosis, and formulating treatment strategy and treatment planning.
10. We keep a record of and refer to that record of any treatment given and details of progress of your case, including reviews of treatment planning to enable us to: review the full traditional diagnosis, treatment strategy and planning; and to secure evidence in the event of criminal proceedings, civil litigation, an insurance claim or complaint.
11. We record and use any information and advice that we have given, especially when referring patients to any other health professional, to help you to receive the most appropriate treatment and to secure evidence in the event of criminal proceedings, civil litigation, an insurance claim or complaint.
12. We record any decisions made in conjunction with you to help you to receive the most appropriate treatment and to secure evidence in the event of criminal proceedings, civil litigation, an insurance claim or complaint.
13. We keep accident records for any patients, visitors or staff who are involved in accidents at our clinic in accordance with UK Health and Safety legislation including the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) to comply with the law and to secure evidence in the event of criminal proceedings, civil litigation, an insurance claim or complaint.
14. In the event of an adverse incident occurring to any of our patients we report the matter to the British Acupuncture Council and the our insurance company to enable the insurance company to deal with any potential claims and to help the British Acupuncture Council to develop its safe practice guidelines, as well as providing research data and information for the British Acupuncture Council’s insurers and other interested parties.
15. Where relevant we maintain records of the patient’s consent to treatment, or the consent of their next-of-kin in order to be able to prove that the patient (and/or parent/guardian/next of kin) has given informed consent to treatment to secure evidence in the event of a civil claim, criminal prosecution, insurance claim or complaint.
Section 16 applies to those who complain about our services
16. When we receive a complaint from a person we make up a file containing the details of the complaint. This normally contains the identity of the complainant and any other individuals involved in the complaint.
We will only use the personal information we collect to process the complaint and to check on the level of service we provide. We usually have to disclose the complainant’s identity to whomever the complaint is about. If a complainant doesn’t want information identifying him or her to be disclosed, we will try to respect that. However, it may not be possible to handle a complaint on an anonymous basis. We may need to provide personal information collected and processed in relation to complaints to the British Acupuncture Council or our insurance company.
We will keep personal information contained in complaint files in line with our retention policy. This means that information relating to a complaint will be retained for two years from closure. It will be retained in a secure environment and access to it will be restricted according to the ‘need to know’ principle.
Similarly, where enquiries are submitted to us we will only use the information supplied to us to deal with the enquiry and any subsequent issues and to check on the level of service we provide.
Sections 17 – 20 apply to our website users
17. When someone visits our website we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it.
18. We use website cookies to improve user experience of our website by enabling our website to ‘remember’ users, either for the duration of their visit – using a ‘session cookie’ – or for repeat visits – using a ‘persistent cookie’.
19. We use a third party service Toolkit Websites to help maintain the security and performance of our website. To deliver this service it processes the IP addresses of visitors to our website.
20. We use a third party service, Toolkit Websites, to host our website including publishing our blog. This site is hosted at toolkitwebsites.co.uk, which is run by Toolkit Websites. We use a standard website host service company, Rackspace to collect anonymous information about users’ activity on the site, for example the number of users viewing pages on the site, to monitor and report on the effectiveness of the site and help us improve it. Toolkit Website requires visitors that want to post a comment to enter a name and email address. For more information about how Toolkit Website processes data, please see https://www.toolkitwebsites.co.uk/privacy
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential, and will be shared:
· With named third parties with your explicit consent;
· With the relevant authority such as the police or a court, if necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject e.g. a court order;
· With your doctor or the police if necessary to protect yours or another person’s life;
· With the police or a local authority for the purpose of safeguarding a children or vulnerable adults; or
· With my regulatory body, the British Acupuncture Council, or my insurance company in the event of a complaint or insurance claim being brought against me; or
· My solicitor in the event of any investigation or legal proceedings being brought against me.
For further details about the situations when information about you might be shared please see the Information Commissioner’s website at https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary.
We keep patient records for a period of 7 years in accordance with the British Acupuncture Code of Professional Conduct https://www.acupuncture.org.uk/public-content/effective-practice/bacc-professional-codes.html
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have certain rights with respect to your personal data as set out below.
· The right to request a copy of your personal data which we hold about you.
· The right to request that we correct any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date.
· The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for us to retain such data.
· The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time. This right does not apply where we are processing information using a lawful purpose other than consent.
· The right to request that we provide you with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller. (known as the right to data portability), (where applicable) [This right only applies where the processing is based on consent or is necessary for the performance of a contract with you and in either case the we are processing the data by automated means].
· The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing.
· The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable) [This right only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics].
· The right to be informed if your data is lost. We shall also inform the Information Commissioner’s Office in accordance with the time limits in the GDPR.
· The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
For further details about these rights please see the Information Commissioner’s website at https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.
I have been seeing Archna since 2017, for injuries, shoulder, neck and back pains and overall health and maintenance. She is very caring and professional toward my treatment, it was great we found her for my acupuncture needs in London. I would recommend Archna for anyone seeking acupuncture treatment. Thank you!
I am very grateful to Archna and the team for developing this method of treatment online. The day after a comprehensive video consultation, I received the Acu Pyramid pads and very clear information about where they would be applied. In the course of a second video consultation, Archna showed me exactly how and where to apply them. It was surprisingly easy, and as they don’t pierce the skin, it felt very safe.
As a result of the treatment, I no longer have a pain in my neck and shoulder that has been with me for two months and I have seen a huge improvement in stiffness in one of my joints which had also been problematic for many weeks.
I have no hesitation at all in recommending the treatment and would positively encourage anyone to try it.
Jerome de Sadeleer
“Sitting in the office all day and working without much movement during the week, my neck and back have bothered me for months. I was recommended accupuncture with Archna and after initial skepticism of needles and acupuncture in general, I made an appointment with Archna. My experience was excellent and she has relieved my of my aches, whether in neck, head, back, hips etc. I am a regular with Archna now and very happy! Highly recommend her!”
Archna is an absolutely amazing and gifted acupuncturist. She has treated me for a variety of back, neck and skin conditions, and the results and healing effects on the body have been nothing short of extraordinary. I really like her energy, integrity and commitment to the work that she is doing and would strongly recommend her to anyone seeking a natural treatment to any physical or emotional issue.
I went to see Archna after being highly recommended by my sister. I found Archna’s caring and lovely nature made me feel completely comfortable, and I was amazed with the results I got after a treatment with her. As a mum of two my back had taken a battering along with my energy, I’m writing this now feeling like a new woman! So I now join my sister in highly recommending her to everyone!
“I went to Archna initially with a very painful bursitis which couldn’t be treated with physiotherapy apart from steroid injections. She managed to treat my shoulder in a few sessions and I started to feel so much better. What I love about Archna is that she is very professional and she explains exactly what she is doing. She has an amazingly calm energy which helps you relax into the treatment and the session. I am a regular client now as she has helped me with many other issues from digestive issues to tension and even emotional imbalance. I look forward to my sessions as I leave feeling so relaxed and very light which are a result of the acupuncture but also Archna’s magical touch and energy.”
“I have really enjoyed my experience going to Archna I was hesitant at first having never tried accupuncture before but have found it to be a very effective compliment to other treatments. Archna has treated my for stress, lower back pain and allergies. I was surprised how effective acupuncture can be and what a wonderful practioner Archna is. The location is very convienent I can go right after work.”
“Archna has treated me for menopausal symptoms, for shoulder pain and for stress. She is an excellent acupuncturist, highly professional and a warm and caring human being. Having been sceptical at the beginning, I realised quickly that Archna’s treatments result in real improvements and alleviation of symptoms. I have total confidence in Archna and recommend her unreservedly.”
My daughter has been suffering from hay fever for a very long time and we’ve tried many different treatments which didn’t help but Archna has achieved amazing results with just few sessions only. She is very professional and trustworthy lady and I cannot thank her enough for everything she did for my daughter. Thank you
“I have been seeing Archna for six months, after struggling with anxiety, stress and difficulties with conception. I was very nervous about approaching acupuncture, but Archna put me at ease within 2 minutes of meeting her. Her calm and reassuring manner helped me to relax, and she went out of her way to make sure that I was always comfortable and felt secure with the treatment options. My appointments with Archna are now little oases of quiet and calm; her treatments dropped my anxiety levels significantly, and I fell pregnant after just a month of seeing her! I truly believe this was a result of Archna’s healing and nurturing treatments, as well as her warm and caring presence. Despite reaching my goal of pregnancy, I am still seeing Archna to calm, soothe and invigorate me during this time, she is the best – thank you Archna.”
I have been consulting Archna for around 15 years. Her work never ceases to astonish me, and now I find there is no ailment that I would not ask her about. Most entrancing though, is her deep-sourced integrity and soulfulness. I have recommended her work to most of my friends and family and will continue to do so.
“My experience at the Acupuncturists was wonderful, every time since I have started seeing Archna over two years ago. She is a fantastic practitioner, really knowledgeable and very focused on providing the best treatment possible. She is very professional and knows how to adjust each treatment so that when you leave you feel much better then when you arrived. She has helped me with stress, back pain, shoulder tension, digestive issues and common cold relief. I would highly recommend Archna to anyone looking to receive treatment.”
Archna Patel is a truly talented and professional acupuncturist. She has treated me successfully for physical issues (foot and back injuries), and also deeper emotional issues (stress, anxiety). The Acupuncturists clinic location near Green Park is super convenient and easy to find. I can’t recommend Archna highly enough and only wish I could give her more than 5 stars.
Archna is amazing. I’ve found her treatments incredibly effective and she is super knowledgeable and caring. She is also very much at the forefront of her field and has a wide variety of tools that she brings to her clients. I love working with her and have now come to her for several years. I have worked with other top acupuncturists in London and SF and consider her among the very best!
I’m really well looked after by Archna and feel my needs are being treated with care on a weekly basis. Would highly recommend to anyone!
I couldn’t recommend Archna highly enough! I’ve been seeing her for over a year now – for various reasons – including digestive issues and addiction. Archna is the warmest, most caring practitioner I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. She makes you feel completely at ease in the treatment and with her many years of experience, always knows just what to do. She is an integral part to my recovery and I feel blessed to have her in my life.
“Archna is the most professional, knowledgeable and caring acupuncturist I have seen so far. I will get treated by no one else in the future. Archna not only has over 20 years of acupuncture experience, but in addition she is the only practitioner in her field who I have met, who takes a holistic and much more thorough approach for treating her patients. Archna is efficient, to the point, and extremely skilled. I have recommended Archna to several friends, who are all as happy as I am. I cannot recommend Archna enough and wish I had found her earlier! Thank you Archna!”
I can’t recommend Archna highly enough. It’s such a personal experience receiving treatment from her, every time I go I always leave feeling more balanced, calm and centred. I’m also positive that seeing her for the past two years played a part in helping me get pregnant and definitely helped me during pregnancy with my sciatica. She has recently helped me so much with upper back and neck tension and with my hayfever, it pretty much disappears after I see her. She is also one of the warmest, kindest people I’ve ever met.